The Passage : Mexico to Hawaii  

HI - Here I'll post our logs that were sent out throughout our crossing. 


Day 2~~~

19 25' N

107 32' W

245 T

5.1 Kts

2835 miles to Hawaii

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know how we are doing. We had a great departure - Patti on Angelfish got in her dinghy to take pictures of us as we left and wave goodbyes, Pincoya came out to say goodbye as did Sea Tub. Len (Greg's dad) went out on the end of the pier to take final pictures as we sailed out of Mexico. It was a great send-off and we felt very special. After toasting Mother Nature and Neptune with some of our good tequila we were rewarded with flat seas, sunny skies and warm breezes. We happily sailed through the day in 10-13 knot winds, we were loving life. Last night the winds got a little fluky so we've been having to work again for our miles. Now we are motorsailing hoping to get into some reliable winds soon. And the fishing line was just put in the water.

So far sleep has been okay, but I know we are not into the routine yet as it's only the second day. I've been be bopping around the boat listening to tunes/podcasts and lectures about Jazz. Greg has a touch of a sore throat so he had some extra sleeping time today to give his body a good chance to fight it. I even had my first reefing exercise this morning - though it was fairly benign.

Anyway, we're having a good time, checking into the radio nets. Adagio is about 500 miles ahead of us, and Anna and Cutthroat (the 2 other Hawaii bound boats - their webpages are on my links page) are both planning to leave today.

As always, you can check the following link for our trip reports that we send in to see our position plotted on a map:



Melissa, Greg and Matey

PS, for those interested Matey's biological functions are all working as they should, she OOOORRRWWWWed to me this morning for her breakfast when I started my 7am watch. She has been spending her time monitoring the water towed generator, scanning the sea, and now keeping tabs on the fishing line.

Day 4~~~~

18 09' N

111 36' W

270 T

6.1 Kts

2620 miles to Hawaii

Well, we are getting into the groove, though it would have been a lot easier if a cold hadn't grabbed onto Greg just as we were shoving off. Luckily it's just a minor one, but when you need two people to run the boat 24 hours a day even a minor one is a pain.

But we're doing well, spirits are good and the fishing line is in the water. We've been checking into all the nets, our day starts off with the Picante Net at 7:15am, then the Amigo net at 8am, then position reporting at 9am (this is a twice daily detailed report that we keep for our records taken the same time each day). Then if we want weather updates we'll check in with Don at 10:30 or 11. After lunch there is the Pacific Maritime net at 4pm, then our Hawaii bounders net at 6pm, then the Southbound net at 6:45, then finally after our evening 9pm reporting there is the Pacific Seafarer's Net at 9:20. Throw in between all those nets, making water, meals and keeping the sails full - we don't get bored on Pacifica.

Matey is in her groove, she was excited by a dolphin show early this morning, right now she's snoozing in the back keeping one ear on the fishing rod.

About the sailing, the past couple of days we've have extremely fluky winds fluctuating about 30-40 degrees - our tracking on the GPS looks like we've been taking in a few too many Sailor Jerry Rum drinks.

Oh, one thing that is very interesting out here is the vibrant colors. There aren't that many different colors, but what they are are beautiful. The sea is the most amazing cobalt blue I've ever seen. And last night was the blackest night I've ever seen - there was almost complete cloud cover and no moon, often I had trouble seeing the horizon - but at least it made spotting ships easy (at least I think it would have if there were any out here).

The night before last we did have a ship that was looking like it was on a collision course with us - or at the least coming very close. After getting on the radio to call him we discovered we didn't show up at all on his radar, but he could see our running lights after we told him our coordinates. He altered course and passed safely behind us.

The other 3 Hawaii bound boats are all out here and it's fun comparing their distances each day. We are slowly gaining on Adagio - but they are a slower boat than us, Cutthroat is quickly gaining on us (they are much bigger and have a larger fuel capacity and aren't afraid to use it). Anna is only on their second day, so we don't know how we relate to them speed wise yet. But Anna, Cutthroat and ourselves are within 200 miles of each other.

I better go, it's getting a little bouncy and I really don't want to ramble on to much. Oh we found out this morning that as of yesterday Greg is an officially General Ham licensee - so YIPEE!!!

Anyway, all is good - take Care, Melissa, Greg and Matey

Day 5~~~~

18 04' N

114 10' W

275 T

5.9 Kts

2473 miles to Hawaii

It's been another good day and night aboard Pacifica - though yesterday we were a little more like motor boat Pacifica because of light winds. But early this morning around 1am the wind came up nicely and around 6am the wind shifted to a beam reach. Currently we are sailing along with our asymetrical spinnaker in friendly seas and all is good.

Yesterday afternoon the fishing line went off with a HUGE run...Greg started to reel him in and when we got the fish close to the boat he did a wild thrashing which showed us that he was a marlin. Fortunately he managed to throw the hook before we got him to the boat - I don't know what we would have done if he hadn't.

This morning though brought better luck for the tummy. We landed 2 blue fin tuna - small guys so they will make about 2 meals. We'll BBQ one in a couple of hours when Greg wakes up and have the rest in some meal tomorrow.

A little bit of bad news on Pacifica is we've lost our lettuce and all our cabbage (except for a small piece in the fridge). I have no idea why - I think those green veggie bags just don't work for me, I haven't had any luck. Anyway, we are going ot be really wanting some green leafy stuff by the time we get to Hawaii in approximately another 18 days.

Oh, a Matey update - she is totally zonked out after her fish excitement and gorging herself on sushi (she wasn't really gorging, but she did have a lot).

Until Later - or should I say Hasta Luego since we are still technically in Mexico.

Melissa, Greg and Matey

Day 6~~~

18 06' N

116 21' W

270 T

6.9 Kts

2351 miles to Hawaii

So, Yesterday it was a good thing we ate our tuna early, and he was wonderful - we had him seared on the grill with some stir-fried veggies. I say it's a good thing because in the afternoon the wind and seas really piped up, we spent most of the afternoon and evening with a double reefed main and a reefed jib. Around 2:30 in the morning the wind retreated to motoring level so we were back motoring which wasn't all that bad, our towable generator isn't taking to it's new brushes, so we needed the engine to charge the batteries. It was fairly cloudy during the day, and we did not get our full complement of solar energy. Greg will work on it more today it see if he can whip it into shape - it sure is nice to have all that free power coming in even if it is on the slower spinning prop (did I mention we lost the faster pitched one overboard?)

This morning was busy for me - lots of net talk on the Picante net - that was fun and helped speed away some time. Then I did the most important work of finding a great place for the sirius radio antenna and securing it into place. In between finding shows to listen to, I called Don our weather guy for his opinion on the weather out here.

I know I've mentioned him before about how he provides Mexican weather on the nets down here. Another thing he does is monitors his radio 4 times a day for vessels such as ourselves crossing to Hawaii or like our friends on Marcy (who are now happily anchored in the Marquesas) who crossed to the South Pacific. Although we get buoyweather and grib files forcasting, it's also nice to have a 3rd source especially one you can talk to who will also explain the 'whys' to you. We totally LOVE our SSB!!!!

Don says that we are in the NE trades and they will gradually get stronger and back toward the East and so will the swells. He did prepare me that the swells will get bigger, but they will be mature (all of which Greg prepared me for before we left).

Anyway, here's to another day at sea - and to Jan, just a little sidenote: we literally sail into the sunset every evening (since we are sailing due West).

It's almost time to wake Greg, though I hesitate to do it, he is sleeping so peacefully. But today is my long watch day which means I only have 4 hours to sleep, so I'm ready to get some. Our watch schedule has us taking four hour turns during the day (7am to 7pm) and three hour turns at night. This seems to be working out well.


Melissa, Greg and Matey


Day 8~~~

18 19' N

121 39' W

270 T

6.5 Kts

2050 miles to Hawaii

Rockin', Rolin', Bouncin' along. That about describes the last day and a half. Yesterday the wind filled in to peak about 25kts in the late afternoon and held till around 12:30 where it seems to be settling around 20 kts. It was pretty amazing though, we had a triple reefed main and a reefed jib and Pacifica was still screaming along at a nice 7+ kts. She really does handle things beautifully. We've had a pretty uncomfortable swell and wind chop on our beam so things are pretty noisy down below. Sleep in lee cloths and ear plugs is even hard.

This email is yet a ploy to keep myself awake as I wait patiently for another hour till I can wake Greg for a shift change and get another 3 hours of sleep. It's surprising how quickly I can wake up while seeing the white phosphorescence crest of a breaking wave coming at us at eye height out of the corner of my eye. Pacifica just sweetly rides over it, but my sleepy mind freaks out for just a bit. It's also surprising how quickly I want to go back to sleep after being jolted awake. Another midnight vice of mine is soul music - it's so fun to pretend to be singing along to it (of course alone in the cockpit in the middle of the night) - I only hope one night I don't actually start belting out tunes, Greg would definitely think I had lost it.

We had our first bit of chafe damage yesterday - Sal's (our steering windvane) steering line broke, but Greg replaced it easy enough and he was back in business. Sal definitely gets the vote for most valued crew member aboard.

It's morning now and the winds are back up to 20-25. I spoke with Don Anderson and we should have this wind most of the way to Hawaii - so we're looking at a fast passage. I'm already calculating the days with the calculator....


Melissa, Greg and Matey

Day 11

18 22' N

129 50' W

270 T

6.3 Kts

1589 miles to Hawaii

THe wind has died down to about 10-15 kts, so we've shaken out all the reefs and are moving along nicely. Over the past two nights it's finally been calmish enough to actually make interesting meals. It just seems that so far we've been heeled so far over or rolling so much that the thought of cooking seemed a bit suicidal (or at the very least an invitation to injure ourselves). You see, Pacifica's galley (or kitchen) is on the high side of the boat on this crossing and we don't have a galley strap set up (but we will in Hawaii), so cooking has the constant feeling of cooking while climbing uphill and with the risk of being thrown down the hill suddenly with no warning. Add to this the stove contents could come crashing across also - though the stove is gimbaled, sometimes the roll exceeds the gimbaling limits.

Yesterday I woke to Greg spotting Cutthroat (the big 52 foot Island Packet that left a day after us) off our stern. So the day was dominated with Cutthroat catching up with us. We rolled up the jib, then took in a couple of reefs to slow down so they could pass us in daylight and we had a late afternoon mid ocean photo shoot. How cool is that!! It's not easy to get a picture of your boat sailing over 1000 miles from land.

Last night we had a radio chat call set up with Peter and Ginger on s/v Marcy who are now in the Marquesas. It was so great to talk to them and it's amazing how clearly you can talk over thousands of miles with these radios.

We have the fishing lines out so Matey is hoping it'll be her lucky day. We sure could use a Dorado or wahoo and we have room in the freezer for him.

Oh, a little bit of bad news, I jammed my toe yesterday (part of that rolling throwing you to the opposite side of the boat). Luckily it didn't need to be put back into place like Greg's toe before we left, but it definitely needs to be taped to his neighbor for support and is very painful. If I were not crossing an ocean I could relax and be pampered as it heals. But unfortunately on a small boat with only 2 people aboard, that's not an option. Though Greg has been a sport about getting out of bed to make minor changes in the cockpit when it's rough. Though he did suffer for it last night.

Finally - I can't believe I almost forgot about this - we should be reaching the halfway point late tonight or early tomorrow morning (we are considering 1500 miles as the midway). So we get to have a little toast of Don Julio with King Neptune and Mother Nature tomorrow...YIPEE!!!! Then it's downhill from here.


Melissa, Greg and Matey

Day 13

18 14' N

135 29' W

270 T

6.6 Kts

1275 miles to Hawaii

Hi ~ after a couple of emails asking how we are doing, we figured we better write another update. So....Notice the mileage to Hawaii -- we're past the halfway mark. The night before last we 'crossed the mark' but waited until yesterday afternoon for our celebration. So we got out our finest unbroken shot glasses and after Neptune and Mother Nature got their offering, Greg and I sipped Don Julio in celebration on a very boisterous sea.

We've been having fantastic wind keeping Pacifica averaging at least in the mid 6, sometimes 7 knot range. At this rate we are thinking maybe being in Hawaii on Monday-ish. We've also nailed down our destination, it looks like it will be Kaneohe Bay since it is supposed to be a gorgeous location with several calm anchorages, a welcoming yacht club (though they are dredging so it looks like we'll anchor out - but we can use their facilities), and a bus stop which can get us to Honolulu, Pearl Harbor, West Marine etc. Sounds like a perfect place to recharge our batteries. Early on we'll try to catch a bus to Honolulu to meet our fellow Hawaii crossers (3 of them are going to Honolulu) the fourth we'll probably run into in Kauai.

I remember reading our friends on s/v Marcy's update at day 12 on their trip to the Marquesas and especially that they said a small part of them is going to be sad to see it end. I've been stretching within myself to see that point of view from where I am. And after a couple of days trying, I did for a fleeting 5 minutes or so this morning. But really, Ginger, I'm sorry to say I can't wait to get to a non heeling/rolling anchorage and be able to cook while not having to hold myself on the high side (or having to watch Greg hold himself on the high side), to be able to wash my hair in the sink without Greg behind be supporting my butt so I don't fly across the boat, to have the feeling of fresh water flowing over me (not an option in our cockpit unless you want periodic drenches of salt water thrown in), and a popcicle - I can't believe how much I wish we had popcicles in the freezer. Greg tells me to remember that Marcy wrote that after a tough 10 days in 30 knots of wind and at the time they had crossed the equator and were in flat seas with sunny skies. Also, I have to add, one reason I may not be sad for the end is that I get to do it again in two months on the crossing from Hawaii to San Francisco. I guess I need to be satisfied with the feeling that I'm not thinking of selling the boat and moving ashore never to sail again. I feel good that I can be comfortable looking out to a sea of swells coated with white caps and know I'm 1000's of miles from land and not be freaking out.

So, we're feeling good and Pacifica is handling this trip beautifully. She really is an amazing boat. And Sal - I can't begin to say how much I appreciate Sal. He NEVER complains and always stands out there steering us better than we can no matter what the sea splashes at him.

Anyway, the fishing has been disappointing, we've been dragging a hook for the past couple of days...nada. We did land the smallest flying fish ever - he was only about 3/4 of an inch long, I didn't know they came that small.

I better go for now, I hope you are all doing well!

Melissa, Greg and Matey

Day 17

Sorry, but I seem to have made a typo in our email address for you all to use. The CORRECT address is [we'd be happy to send it to you vial email, but we don't want to post it]  Please send all fan/hate/news/email to this address.

18 42' N

146 11' W

280 T

6.0 Kts

674 miles to Oahu

Melissa has decided that if she can't say anything nice, she shouldn't say anything at all. It has thus fallen into my lap to turn the morale around and get a report out.

Apparently I did not thoroughly enough explain to her the main fact of life she would experience making a (very) long downwind ocean passage. Sing with me: Roll, Roll, Roll your boat gently down the sea ... OK, maybe not so gently. This has truly been an extremely rolly trip. Pretty much the whole way we have been in reinforced tradewinds with seas in the 10' range. Add lots of bumpy wind waves into the mix and imagine the result. The bright side is we are moving along at a very fast clip and should easily make our fantasized 21 day passage time. This is very fast for a 3000 mile trip on a small-to-mid sized cruising boat. Except for the first three days, we have consistently made 150 to 160+ miles every day.

Our watch schedule of four hour shifts in the day and three hour shifts at night seems to be working well for us. We both feel like we are getting the sleep we need, and the only really tough shift is the 1:00AM to 4:00AM. That being said, it will be real nice to get back to normal 8 hr. uninterrupted sleeping at night.

After our initial early success with fishing on this trip, it has since been a total bust. Except for a couple days where it was too rough to even contemplate dealing with a flopping fish, we have had a line in the water continuously. Nothing, nada, zilch. I'm thinking today our luck might turn around however. I'm visioning a mid sized dorado or wahoo chomping on our lure this afternoon. I'll get back to you on this with a follow-up report.

Other than one genoa sheet block coming apart, nothing has broken on this trip. KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK. Amazing. We had plenty of other blocks to replace the disintegrated one, so no big deal. A couple of windvane steering lines chafed through, but that barely counts. It seems that all or our careful preparation has paid off.

Many of the last few days we have had either just a double reefed main (sometimes triple reefed), or just a poled out jib. That's all we've needed to keep Pacifica moving along at 6.5 to 7+ knots. This morning does seem to be lightening up a bit however.

Meal preparation continues to be a real challenge. Imaging trying to prepare a meal in your Kitchen that is regularly rolling 20 degrees side to side. Not so fun, but you could probably learn to deal. Now add in an occasional bit of corkscrewing motion. OK. Now for the topper, every few minutes through in an unexpected 35 to 40 degree roll when a particularly large wave hits at a bad angle. You get the idea. What we really need is a belt which keeps the chef from being tossed across the cabin.

On the positive side, the sun has started making it's appearance a couple days ago. Blue skies and white puffy clouds are the rule now. Very beautiful looking out at the wavy sea in these conditions. The water is incredibly clear and blue.

Melissa has finally been able to read a book while underway. This is a big breakthrough for her. We've both been enjoying all the time we have for reading, though we also spend a fair amount of time playing with the HAM radio.

After more than two weeks of this, Matey is wondering if this is now her lot in life. We are trying to explain that she will not be living in Waterworld for the rest of her life, but I don't think she'll believe it until we land at Oahu and she touches (and pees on) actual earth.

It now looks like we will arrive at Kaneohe Bay, Oahu on Monday morning. We would more naturally arrive late Sunday night, but we will slow down so we don't make landfall until first daylight. It would be a shame to have made it all these thousands of miles, only to put Pacifica up on a reef.

That's all the news for now,

Greg, Melissa and Matey

Day 18

19 15' N

149 35' W

282 T

6.0 Kts

480 miles to Oahu

Wow! It sure feels like we are in the home stretch now. The winds and seas have calmed down and will probably stay this way till we reach Ohau. The winds are about 15 kts and the swells about 6 feet(but smooth). The sun is shining, we are happy.

Matey has had about as perfect a day as she can without us making landfall. It started out with a yummy breakfast (yes it's spiced with doggie nutrients and a little oil), then followed that up with a beef marrow bone. After prancing around trying to wake Greg she had a hot dog, then after Greg woke he put the fishing line in the water. Then the topper - we caught a nice dorado. Then she spent the time while I was cleaning the fish waiting for little bits of sushi to be dropped into her mouth. She is now sitting on the back seat watching the lines waiting for another fish to bite.

It was really great to finally catch another fish - that always pipes things up aboard.

As for the Talley on the other boats out here and when they will arrive: Adagio who left PV on April 2nd will arrive in Honolulu on Saturday, Cutthroat who left a day after us (on the 10th) will arrive in Honolulu on Sunday, and we will arrive on Monday morning. We've eaten most of our veggies - I think we have one green pepper, some onions, potatoes, tomatoes and a large cabbage salad with yummy veggies in it. Our freezer is basically empty except for a little ground meat and a half a pack of bacon, and about 8 beef marrow bones. Since I think they will take most of this away from us when we land, I hope Matey doesn't get too upset to see her bones go away. But we're not sure how customs will work, I've also heard a lot of times they don't even come aboard - we'll see, it's not that big of a deal either way.

Matey's vet appointment is confirmed on Monday afternoon at the airport for her to get her healthcheck - this is the final thing she has to do before she can be released back to us. So hopefully everything will work out and it really will be same day turnaround to in process her - it sure looks like it.

We always chuckle at the ways she has adapted, from the sleeping with the paw out bracing herself against the side of the boat so she doesn't smash her nose in the rolling, to going to the bathroom on a rolling platform, to doing a little dance side to side with the motion of the boat while she eats - and no complaining - she still shows her puppy face and seems very happy. I can't wait to see her run on the beach Monday evening. She's now learned to ask to go outside - even though she has free access to the cockpit, I think she feels better when we are there to watch her - or maybe she just wants to make sure we see her do her business so she can be sure we give her a treat (yes, we still treat each and every time - it's hard, I feel like I should have a treat after I go too).

We got to hear Ginger from s/v Marcy on the Pacific Seafarer's Net last night. They are enjoying their baguettes in the Marquesas - it's nice to catch up with friends on these nets. Just a simple hello can brighten an otherwise lonely (sleepy) start to a night watch.

Well, I must be going, we are settling down for cocktail hour (you know it's nice when we have cocktail hour). So here's to you - we'll toast you with a nice Sailor Jerry's run and diet coke!!!!

Melissa, Greg and Matey

Day 20

20 40' N

154 21' W

282 T

6.6 Kts

198 miles to Oahu

Another nice day aboard s/v Pacifica. As we are closing in, we've turned up the focus on Pacifica -- now it's SPEED. She excels in this light air (we have light trades of 10-15 kts and flat seas), and I'm happy she does. After we did some figuring, we decided since we were so close to getting in Sunday night, that if we pushed her (not crazy out of hand pushing, just sailing not cruising pushing), Pacifica could get us into Kaneohe Bay Sunday before nightfall. So, up went the spinnaker and we've been making great time. We have to average over 6.5 kts to assure a Sunday arrival - otherwise our little sorry selves are going to be spending an additional night out bobbing around outside the Bay waiting for that big yellow lightbulb to come up in the morning (Kaneohe has reefs and they can be particularly nasty if hit).

We decided to do this big push yesterday and had a beautiful day of spinnaker flying to culminate with a full rainbow off our stern (with the hints of a double) as the squalls started to pass through in the evening. After a nice little freshwater shower for Pacifica, we decided to do a take down and just sail with the genoa through the night. So there were a few hours of lighter (slower) times - I know those racers out there would be telling me we should have just flown it all night, but with the squalls around and at the time it was borderline too windy, we caved (sorry, Bill).

But at first light before Greg went to snooze, up went the spinnaker and she's been flying ever since. We've been averaging about 6.6 over the last few hours with a little 6.3 thrown in.

Matey is oblivious to our stresses and thinks it's great fun each time we go to tweak Sal to adjust our course. Reason being is it's in the back near the fishing lines - Matey is all about fishing, all day, every day. She runs down below to scarf down her meals, but she's back on deck to manage her lines. Every once in a while when the lure gets especially jumpy, she starts barking her head off till we look back and tell her there is no fish on the line.

We've been enjoying all the emails - thanks to all of you who have been sending them. We don't get a 'you've got mail' tune, but we do get messages when we connect as to how many messages we have. So the suspense while they are downloading is fun and we usually huddle around the computer or one of us will read them to the other.

Oh, a little tidbit, The guy who initially took me out on his boat for a Wednesday night race out of the Vallejo Yacht Club 7 1/2 years ago will be in Hawaii at the same time as us to do a delivery back to SF Bay. That guy is Bill Thomas of s/v Cpt George Thomas and because of his and Greg's patient supportive teachings, I am now here. And maybe Bill gets a little more credit because he did take the non sailing girl out on his boat, had he not volunteered that, I wouldn't have met Greg 3 months later. I later raced with Bill for 3 years and did the sail down the Mexican Coast aboard his boat. So, thanks, Bill - we're looking forward to seeing you in Honolulu or Kaneohe in a couple of weeks.

That's all for now,



Kanehoe Bay Hawaii

Hi Everyone - Just wanted to let you know we made it. Sailed in at 7 kts as the light was fading away - talk about just making it - there are a lot of reefs around here, most marked with a PVC pipe but some not. Sure glad we made it before the light shut down.

We just got back to the boat after having a couple of beers and a hot dog at the Yacht Club. So far met a great bunch of people - I'm sure we'll feel right at home here over the next month.

Take care, more details later/...


Melissa, Greg and Matey


Kaneohe Bay Update

Kaneohe Bay Hawaii

Hi~~~ Sorry you haven't heard from us in awhile - but we've been enjoying the life of being on land again.

First off, Matey's in processing went so smoothly - it was all smiles every step of the way. We called the inspector Monday morning (along with Customs). The inspector came by and called us on the cell when he got here to as us to bring Matey ashore. So she got to happily walk up to the inspector - getting yummy treats from him. Then we all walked to the van and had her hop up in the crate. She was happy and perky. Then he drove off with her to bring her to the airport holding facility. Her vet was coming by the airport to examine her at 3pm, so we had a little time to have some lunch and catch up on email when the customs inspectors came out to the boat.

They also take care of agriculture and immigration. Luckily we had already tossed all our produce and finished off the meat before coming in, so all they did was take our trash and a bag of limes that I forgot about. They didn't do any kind of inspection, in fact they didn't even come aboard the boat. At first they just wanted to do everything at the club (since that's where we were sitting doing email), but since our paperwork was at the boat, they walked down to it. When Greg asked if they wanted to come aboard, they said, "No, Thanks". So it was very low key and relaxing. After they left, we arranged for a rental car - then drove off to Honolulu to pick up Matey.

Of course we don't really have good directions so when we got close, I called the office to get help and the office manager from Quarantine stayed on the phone with me to give real time directions as we made our way through the airport. How is that for nice??? When we got parked and entered the office, everyone came out to tell us hello and meet the owners of the 'boat dog' (as Matey was affectionately nicknamed). It seemed everyone wanted to say hi - but they did also mention that they think everyone in the office had a chance to email me about Matey. Guess I was a little 'attentive' with by questions about what was going to happen to her. I can't help it if I'm over protective about her, and they didn't seem to mind - they were very friendly. When the vet finished his exam he came out to talk to us and commented a number of times as to how healthy she looked and what amazing shape her teeth were in - I was beaming. It also seems Matey impressed everyone there by being a sweetheart. The guy who was caring for her was gushing about how good she was - he was amazed, just say sit, and she sits... So it was a very good and fast experience - absolutely nothing traumatic about it.

Now finding a dog park or legal place to run is another story. I sure hope Kauai is better, believe me there is a lot of room for improvement for that. So we've been taking long walks and being a little illegal in our play.

So, now we have a rented car and are enjoying ourselves. Oh, Monday evening, we walked back into the club and who should we see: Jeannie Mariscal, Bruce Wallace and Sue Robertson (all from the Berkeley Yacht Club). What a small world. They just got into Honolulu last week from bringing Dave and Jeannie's boat over from San Diego and just happened to be checking out the KYC and noticed the guest book where we signed in - so they were keeping a look out for us. We had a few drinks then headed out to dinner. Sue and Jeannie have flown out today, but Bruce will be around for another few weeks. We also got an email from Doug Asche (another Berkeley YC member), he'll be in town next week and again with Marsha (his wife) toward the end of the month. It's great how we're so far away from Berkeley but still get to hang out with club members!!!

We've been enjoying the car - so much so, we are going to try to work out a deal to rent it for another 3 weeks while we are here. The one problem with being at this club, is there is NOTHING within walking distance and Matey is not allowed on the bus. Tomorrow we are going to take a drive around to the North shore, do some exploring and try to find a cheapish hotel to stay for the night.

THis afternoon we took a trip to West Marine, got a couple of new jib sheets and new steering lines for Sal along with new traveler lines - Pacifica I'm sure is very happy with all of her new fresh accessories.

Talk to you soon,

Melissa, Greg and Matey