8-15-06: It's Adventure Time!!!!
Casper turns into....
Well, Casper (my car of 9 years) is sold. I'll miss her, she was a great car - but I was ready for another and since we'd have to store her - it's best she goes to another owner.
I guess this means our cruise is real - with only 2 weeks left of work, it's feeling very real about now. Before it was just a series of things to do, but now I find myself having dreams of what we are going to do at anchor on those scary nights. I guess this is good, the easy times I know I'll be prepared for - after all, who wouldn't be prepared for a nice sail into a calm anchorage, then opening an ice cold beer while grilling up a freshly caught tuna. All of this after (or just before) some nice snorkeling.
It's the windy nights with swell breaking on surrounding rocks and reef that I worry about. How we are going to store everything that we think we need? Or the tricky passes in Hawaii - or what about the squalls on the Pacific - not to mention the threat of an early hurricane. Mom, I sure hope you aren't reading this.
Anyway, it's my fears that I worry about. Am I going to like showering under a sun shower most days? Having to trek purchases out to the boat all the time? What about the 20+ days at sea on our way to and from Hawaii? I'm expecting some rough times, but I'm guessing that I will enjoy the trip most of the time.
Most people ask if I am excited and expect me to be dreamily in a state just past reality - but that's just not my style, I'm a worrier and I hope I can count on this little trait of mine to ensure (as it usually does) that the worries are mostly for nothing, but if they are needed, I am prepared - mentally at least.
Now that the car is sold, I am currently worrying about getting up early enough to be able to catch Bart to meet my bus shuttle (wherever that is) in Pleasanton.
I guess the adventure is starting now... Maybe that will be a lesson I come home with - Life is an adventure, this can apply here too - I'll let you know...
7-30-06: Here is an overview of our trip....
Only about a month now till we leave Berkeley. Hard to believe! I polished our stainless this weekend while Greg worked on the engine. He has to get a copper pipe bent tomorrow to replace one that we took off getting the starter rebuilt.
We also made time for fun - seeing a Mexican Folk band at the Oakland Museum and going to the kite festival today. Though Matey wasn't too fond of the drums so we didn't stay too long.
Hi well, Matey didn't have to deal with the 'gun' from the race committee - in fact we just used a horn. But regardless, Matey was safely tucked away at her Nonnie's for the evening.
Hard to believe I'll only be at work another 5 weeks or so... Time seems to be going by so quickly lately.
We though you might like to see who will be going on the Baja HaHa with us. Here is a picture of the 5 of us:
That's Scott Hotes, Greg, Matey, Me and John Mankey
It's official - We are officially part of the Baja HaHa 2006!!!!!
June 30 - Tiburon
1) Kialoa III / S&S 79 / Orange Coast College /
2) Alaska Eagle / S&S 65 / Orange Coast College / Newport Beach
3) Raptor Dance / Valiant 50 / Bill Finkelstein / Santa Rosa
4) Mykonos / Swan 44 MkII / Myron Eisenzimmer / San Geronimo
5) Three Quarter Time / Catalina 470 / Chuck Pfaff / Auburn
6) Gypsy Soul / Cal 34 / Jay Sousa / Merced
7) Southern Star / Island Packet 45 / Mark Rogers / Berkeley
8) Saeta / Sceptre 41 / Richard Black / Santa Cruz
9) Mai Pen Rai / Islander 36 / Noble Brown II / Benicia
10) Ladyhawke / Mariner 50 / Mike Morehouse / Santa Cruz
11) Voyager II / Norseman 447 / C. Wayne Ratliff / San Luis Obispo
12) Mal de Mer III / J/40 / Ed Huckins / San Diego
13) Robyn's Nest / Island Packet 35 / Chris Parker / Placerville
14) Oceanus / Ocean/Alex 50 / Brian Deans / Berkeley
15) Sun Fun / Hans Christian 38 MkII / Bill Costello / San Clemente
16) Pacifica / Ericson 39-B / Greg Davids / Richmond
17) Solstice / Pacific Seacraft 37 / John Alden / Palos Verdes
18) Far Fetched / Beneteau Oceanis 390 / Steve Albert / Grant's Pass, OR
19) XTerra Firma / Formosa 47 / Axel Heller / Temple City
20) Aloha / Willard 40 PH Trawler / Patrick Gerety / La Quinta
21) Willow / Westsail 32 / BJ Loew / Pasco, WA
22) La Storia / Morgan 45 / Burt McChesney / La Quinta
23) Misjudged II / Hunter 460 / Patrick Magers / Irvine
24) Wiz / Nautor Swan 44 / Darrell Clark / Polson, MT
25) Espiritu / Hunter 430 / Patrick McIntosh / Sacramento
26) Equinox / Island Packet 440 / Hank Martin / Bothell, WA
We're Entry #16 - Whoo Hoo...I can't wait to be there - I already ordered up my Mexican bandana from mom.
So, today we get to go to West Marine (my dad must take me there daily nowadays - sometimes multiple times a day - to pick up our new spinnaker pole and actually get a refund of an overcharge. Dad is so looking forward to getting money back from West Marine - and I am so looking forward to hitting him up for more Natural Balance dog food rolls - lamb flavor, please!!!
Here's dad driving the Pole home.
Tomorrow mom says we are going out to be the committee boat for our yacht club races. This of course means they are going to shoot a big gun (i think..) I'm not looking forward to that.